Kitchen is one of the most important corner of your home which you can’t ignore especially the kitchen lighting. Just like a healthy breakfast is important, a healthy indoor lighting is equally important. So in this article i am going to share some useful kitchen lighting ideas and best fixtures that will enhance its looks and beautify it to great extent.
First lets understand the three types of lighting which are used widely.
- Ambient light: This light acts as a main source of light even if there is a natural light or you need some extra lights. The Ambient light source when mounted on the ceiling should spread the light evenly in every corner of the room. To do this, you can take help of pendant lights, flush mounts, chandeliers and recessed lighting.
- Task lighting: Ambient lighting is good enough to guide you in the kitchen and help you in performing your daily chores, however it mostly leaves shadows in areas that need more light. With the help of task lighting you can illuminate the important work surfaces and cabinets which will help you to prepare meals safely and you can even read recipes and find the required ingredients. The examples of task lighting are puck lights and strip lights which you can use in your kitchen.
- Accent: These lights is just like a cherry on top of your well-designed kitchen: cabinet lights, toe kick lights, and any other light that might accentuate your favorite elements. They even might cross over into task lighting and ambient as well.
Depending on whether your kitchen has a built-in cook top or has a separate arrangements you’ll want to light your kitchen accordingly.
For food prep and recipe reading, try for a mix of recessed down lighting and hanging lights. But for ambient hang-out islands (like counter seating), something as simple as mini-pendants will do: Pendants should be placed at least 30-32 inches apart and 30-36 inches above the island, with at least six inches from edge of island.
Option One: Pendants. When it comes to installing your pendants, as a general rule of thumb, a set of two pendant lights installed over a kitchen island should be at least 30 inches from the center of the island and have 30-32 inches between the counter top and the bottom of the pendant. A set of three pendant lights should be just as high up, spaced apart evenly, and be at least six inches from the edge of the island.
Another Option: Linear Suspension Lighting
Linear suspension lights work well in the kitchen especially if you have higher ceilings and can hang one at least 40” above your counter top.
Add Accent Lighting to Improve Your Kitchen Lighting Design
The grace notes of a well-designed kitchen
The right placement of accent lights can really help emphasize your favorite elements. Common kitchen accent lights include:
- Recessed: This type of refined, out-of-the-way lighting can go anywhere. But it is particularly important when you want to illuminate areas of visual interest like open shelves and glass cabinets.
- Over cabinet: Placed between the cabinet and ceiling, over cabinet lights add a dramatic touch to your kitchen. Created in a similar fashion to under cabinet lighting, over cabinet lighting can provide even illumination to accent decor and architecture.
- Toe kick Lights: A great way to distinguish kitchens and to illuminate a pathway. Toe lighting is produced via rope lights or LED tape.