We all love to indulge in scrumptious food. However, making delicious food is an art that requires effort and patience to bring out the desired results. Some people abide by frozen food and outside eatables to keep them going. Thoroughly home-cooked food can be the preferred choice of the majority, though. Cooking requires many other jobs like whipping, blending, grinding, boiling, frying, baking, grilling, toasting, and so much more. People who cook regularly definitely have the appliances required for different jobs. But when it comes to baking, they often get confused about what type of oven to buy. Especially when the microwave ovens have access to the simplest of kitchens, it becomes difficult to determine the usage of oven toaster grillers (OTG).
An OTG is a must-buy if you still abide by the baking old-school technique. It is for everyone who wishes to put in efforts and time to make a lip-smacking dish. If you find a microwave as an instant appliance, then OTG would actually simmer your food so that the dish gets cooked thoroughly and you get the perfect flavor. Evidently, an OTG is for those who love to cook utterly delicious recipes. In fact, an OTG is an affordable cooking appliance that can be part of your kitchen once you understand your requirements. So, this blog is a ready reference for the important points to consider before buying an OTG.
OTG Buying Guide
The first and foremost point to consider before buying an OTG is the capacity. The oven’s capacity refers to the “actual” size where you place the container to grill, bake, or heat. A large-sized oven can hold large containers but also consumes more energy. It would help if you ascertained certain factors like family size, the quantity of food you normally make, and such before deciding on the capacity. Given below are some factors.
- Family Size – As per the family’s size, you cook a small or large amount of food. Following are some of the recommended oven capacity (in liters) for different family sizes.
- Usage – The oven capacity also depends on how you wish to use the oven. If you want to use the OTG for all cooking types, you will obviously require a higher capacity. And if you wish to use it for tasks like defrosting or reheating food, a smaller oven can also fit your requirement.
- Cookware – Before buying one, please ensure that the dishes (like pan and other cookware) you normally use would fit comfortably inside the OTG to incur extra cost on buying new cookware.
2. Space & Location
Of course, you have chosen an electrical OTG to be a part of your culinary journey, but before buying one, do consider the space you can devote to this appliance. OTGs are generally big and require a little extra space. Ensure that you measure the oven’s size against the location where you wish to have it installed.
Every OTG has a control panel from where you manage and control your oven’s functions and operations. It can be of different types. You can choose the one that suits your requirements.
- Analog – mechanical switches that have knobs. Such ovens are not expensive yet long-lasting. It can also be less precise as everything is set manually.
- Digital – electronically-controlled push buttons. These ovens are common at present. They are more expensive and less durable, but they have more accurate settings as everything is set automatically.
Generally, the control panels have the following basic components-
- Clock or Timer Displays – sets the length of time for cooking.
- Temperature Settings – helps you to set the temperature for cooking.
- Thermostat – maintains a preset temperature to stop or continue the heat flow to avoid overcooking/overheating of the oven.
- Oven Light helps you see the oven’s interior while the food is being cooked or check on its status.
As a rule, an OTG can be used for broiling, baking, heating, toasting, and grilling. Almost all OTGs let you do roasting, barbecuing, and baking. Today, OTGs also come with additional components to help you cook better.
- Rotisserie – a removable grill with a turning spit for better and uniform grilling.
- Oven Rack – allows you to put more than one dish simultaneously in the oven. Make sure it’s thick and durable.
Of course, everything comes with an OTG price tag. Keeping your requirements in mind, you should choose an OTG that comes within your budget. The higher the capacity, the more it will cost. And the same is applicable for features as well. So, you must check on all the points before selecting an oven for your kitchen.
While purchasing an OTG, you must consider the guarantee that a particular brand is offering. On the safer side, it is always good to have a product with a certain guarantee to avoid unnecessary maintenance costs.
After going through these points, you must be better positioned to choose the best OTG for your kitchen. If you have something to ask, do mention it in the comment section. Happy cooking!